1. Studio Etiquette - If you have questions while you are weaving, please ask me instead of asking another student. I am here to help you with your projects and to teach. Please respect other students’ desires to focus on their weaving. I try to stay attuned to what you need to know and provide support when you need it.
2. Floor Loom Equipment – each floor loom is labeled with a number and all the equipment that goes with that loom is labeled, as well. Each loom is equipped with a bench (labeled), a box containing a pair of scissors (for yarn ONLY), a tape measure, a yarn needle, and a threading hook; a box with tie-up cords; extra heddles ( I am the only person who adds and takes heddles off looms); 2 boat shuttles; a mug rug for cups and bottles; phone holder; Schacht looms have a light; Wolf looms have a “trap”. You are responsible for keeping all the equipment with your loom and in order. You are also responsible for keeping equipment/parts of the loom on the loom when you are not using it to prevent warping of the equipment (e.g. wolf traps, back and front beams when threading, lights). When you complete your project, you will be responsible for removing the BLUE tape from the treadles and I will recheck the equipment to make sure everything is complete and there has been no damage to the loom (water stains, broken/cut cords). Students will incur a fine for replacement and repair of missing or damaged looms or equipment.
3. Yarn Policy - Students are not allowed to reshelf yarn. All yarn must be returned to my desk for reweighing. All empty cones and tubes of yarn must be returned to my desk, as well. Projects will be weighed upon completion and students will be charged for weight of yarn used. All yarn will be discounted 20% if all of the loom waste is included in the weighing. If loom waste is not included in the weighing or if you weigh your project outside of the studio, the 20% discount will be forfeited.
4. Winding Bobbins – Please plan how much yarn you need on bobbins at the end of projects. As you near the end of the project, do not wind full bobbins.
5. 8/2 cotton, 16/2 cotton, cottolin yarn policy - When using these yarns, please first check to see if there are partial cones available in the annex in your color(s). Do not take tubes from the baskets in the yarn room without first checking with me. All cones must be returned to my desk with the label on the tube (even if it is empty), in the plastic bag and with any yarn left on bobbins. Failure to do this will result in a $5.00 per tube fine. If we can’t make this system work, students will have to buy full tubes.
6. Using Own Loom Policy – Due to space constraints, Rigid Heddle Weavers are the only students who will be bringing looms into the studio to thread.
7. Own Equipment – Students are not permitted to bring scissors, tape measures, threading hooks, etc. from home. The studio is equipped with these items. Rigid Heddle Weavers who are using their own looms must come with all the equipment needed to thread the loom, shuttles and paper.
8. Sewing – Students are welcome to use the sewing machines to finish their projects if they can do so independently. I am available to help thread machines. If you need additional assistance, see me for a list of professional sewers.
9. Please use the couch for sitting, (not for baskets, pocketbooks and eating). There is a table in the entrance way for eating/food. Please do not bring food (water and drinks are okay) into the weaving area – thanks. There are felted mug rugs to be used under bottles and cups.
10. Recycling – There are two recycling bins in the coffee area. One is for CLEAN paper (no coffee cups); the other is for cans, bottles, plastic. Please help the studio be green by recycling items that are recyclable.
11. Shoe Policy – To protect the floors and keep allergens out of the studio, please remove your shoes (no shoes or foot covering that have been outside) when you enter the studio. You may bring socks, slippers or use slippers and shoe covers provided. Please no bare feet.
12. Parking – Please park in the parking lot or if the lot is full please use the driveway. Please do not park on the street.
13. Cell Phone Policy – Please talk on your cell phone in the front entrance way or on the deck.
14. Sick/Illness Policy – If you are sick, coughing, sneezing, and/or contagious: Please stay home!
15. Perfume/Strong scent policy – Due to sensitivities/allergies to perfumes and strong scents, please refrain from wearing to the studio perfume and any products that have a strong scent.